Thursday, December 26, 2013

I taught baby BAZ to READ with this BoOk from the library...

Sebastian received a doodle board for his second birthday and immediately climbed up on my lap and said, "abc's", so we started with that. Next I started showing him two letter blends.



The next time we went to the library I looked in the card catalog, yes card catalog, it was 1994, for teaching reading. I found the first edition of this book from 1979. All you need is a red wide tip felt marker and large index cards. I bought mine at the dollar store!


I made them in groups of six starting with two and three letter words. When he mastered the first group, I made another and so on, gradually uping the length of the words. Continue to go over the older cards. Infact, always end with a few words your child knows, so they feel sucessful at the end of the session. I tried doing this twice to three times a day a day, but if you only have time for once a day, that is fine, too. Next is finding an easy book abd reading most of it to them, but stopping to point to words they know and letting them tell you what it is. My son's favorite book at that time was Go Dog Go, so I used that.


By the end of two weeks he was reading 50 words and in a little over a month could read Go Dog Go, by Dr. Seuss, all by hinself. The ealy reader Seuss books were my mainstay for this undertaking. I also used the Bob Books. They can be pricey, but we stumbled upon them as damaged clearance at B&N. Check and see if your library has them.


I did a blog post about them, HERE.

When other mothers heard he could read they said, "Oh, we don't have that kind of money." When I explained I used a library book with a marker and index cards from the dollar store they said,"Oh, I don't have that kind of time." Oh well, their loss, Sebastian was tested reading at an 11th grade level when he reached second grade. It has definitely made a huge difference in his grades, in all subjects, as he has grown. I am so glad I took the time and effort. It was also a great bonding experience for the two of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to chat. Thanks for stopping by for a peek. ~ La La